Now I'm Not So Sure

To run or not to run?

I know I said I was hanging up the running shoes, but yesterday I PR'd the 5k at 29:43. I was shooting for under 30 and made it, plus I shaved 1:16 off my previous time. Looks like the speed work and the running I had been doing for training did pay off. Problem is, I'm not so sure I should call it quits with the running.

I am getting faster. Each time I've competed I've shaved time off my previous race time. And yesterday was no picnic as there were some nice hills to contend with. Since I don't train on hills, I was pleasantly surprised with my time given the hills I had to face. Along with the heat, I had a couple of obstacles thrown my way that I handled just fine.

I just need to stop being a baby.

That said, I will continue to run. Right now I don't have any events scheduled to train for, so the running will mainly be to just run. I kind of like the feeling of that.

Today my youngest competed in his first kids' tri. He finished. That was all I asked of him since he really didn't put much time into training. The swim didn't go all that great, but what can he or any of us expect when he didn't swim at all before the event? He's a computer geek who has spent more time inside all summer than outside and only competed because I asked him to. I'm proud of him for getting himself up, getting ready to go, and finishing what he said he would do. He even said he'd do another one even though he was almost in tears after this one. He experienced what so many of us do after our first time with an extreme challenge: the adrenaline let-down at the end. I had to fight to keep the tears in check myself.

A couple of us found out in the past two days we can accomplish something we really want if we just set our minds to it. Just like Mom always said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky