Decision Made

Okay, so running today in 104 heat index wasn't a good idea. And running the day after biking 32 miles isn't a great idea, either. I've never felt so horrible while running. Even doing the mental inventory and telling myself to just keep going, just keep going wasn't enough to get me through the three miles. I had to walk quite a bit of it. I haven't walked the three miles in a really long time, so I wasn't real happy with today's outcome. In fact, I was close to tears.

That's when I stopped, literally, on the side of the road and thought if running makes me cry then I shouldn't be running. How many times have I said I absolutely hate running? How many times have I said I don't know why I do this to myself? Like I tell others who moan and groan about something they don't like doing and they have complete control over doing it or not--DON'T DO IT! How hard is it to figure this one out? It's not hard at all.

So, as I stood there, flanked on both sides by cornfields, the sun beating down on me, I decided to hang up the running shoes after Saturday's relay. I'll do it because I said I would, but after I cross that finish line, I'm done with the running. My focus will be on the biking, completing some tours before the snow sets in, hopefully doing the century at the end of October.

Just thinking about ditching the running and going full tilt into the biking makes me smile. And maybe sometime tomorrow my new jersey will arrive at my door, just in time for my ride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light