Life is an Experiment

Last August, after going to the salon and having my hair colored, shelling out almost $200 in the process, I decided enough. It was time to embrace the gray and stop paying outrageous amounts to cover it up. After all, I thought, I'm heading towards 50 and gray is the natural process of things. Right? So I embraced the gray. A week ago, almost a year to the day, I was back in the salon having my hair colored. I just couldn't go another day with the gray that only seemed to like growing at the temples. Nowhere else. Just above the ears so when I pulled my hair into an updo it was like BAM! gray streaks on each side of my head. Not a good look for me. I caved and talked to my stylist who suggested doing a single color rather than highlights, and in the end I only paid out $65. I can handle that.

I like to think of my year of no coloring as an experiment which taught me a lot about our society, how it influences us, how others see me, and how I see myself. There were definitely high and low moments during that year all because of the gray in my hair. I still think I should have been able to embrace the gray completely, ignoring the little gremlin in my head, whispering how old I looked with the gray. Persistent little devil he was, and he won.

So now I'm on to another experiment: going without a car. I haven't totally figured it all out yet. It's kind of like a see what happens as it happens experiment right now. And I'm only into day 2. Yesterday I rode my bike to work. Today I rode again. Both days have been perfect for riding, with cool temps, sun, and little wind. Unfortunately days like these are limited. The wind will eventually kick in. The temps will become even cooler if not downright cold. With fall will come the rain. With winter will come the snow, perhaps ice. What will I do then? Definitely some issues to get figured out before these things come my way.

For now I'll just happily ride my bike, enjoying the benefits that come with it: parking right outside the door at work (love not having to drive around trying to find a parking space), burning calories (the clothes are really fitting loose these days), and seeing things along the ride that would go unnoticed if I was in a car (like the way the sun casts shadows across the 18th tee at the golf course).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky