Why I Support Christine Blasey Ford

Friday evening, Lovely Beautiful Daughter and I traveled to Urbana to attend Made, a festival of music, poetry, and handmade arts and crafts. We chatted the entire way there, as we made our way through the booths of homemade soaps, funny magnets, pottery, and whimsical clay pots for succulents, and as we searched for the restaurant we decided to try out. On our way to the restaurant, the subject of the latest supreme court nominee came up.

Lovely Beautiful Daughter, in so many words, wasn't sure the alleged events from thirty plus years ago should keep this man from being appointed. Maybe he's changed, she said.

We continued talking after our appetizers had arrived.

Maybe, I said. But doesn't she deserve to be heard? If he did what she says he did, she's been living with those nightmare memories for over thirty years.

Lovely Beautiful Daughter nodded. Thankfully I've never experienced sexual assault, she said.

At that, I could feel the tears wanting to show themselves. I looked at Lovely Beautiful Daughter and said, I am so glad you haven't.

Because they are memories that never, ever go away. They might sift to the back of your mind, but they are always much too ready and willing to come screeching to the forefront. When they do, the moment is relived. Again and again. And those memories have a way of persuading you to make decisions that you know are not in your best interest. You watch yourself going left when you know without a doubt going right is the better choice. But you go left anyway, as if some invisible string is pulling you and you're powerless to cut it.

Those memories are a life sentence.

And it's so unfair.

Comments

Unknown said…
I don't know what I think about the whole thing -- I just see one big royal mess and my heart breaks for her and my heart breaks for his family. But I LOVE this post. I LOVE that Beautiful Daughter is not the 1 of 1 in 3. Weeping with joy -- right there with you. I also love that you have you said it so well and that's exactly why it does matter -- it just never, ever, ever goes away, and you just never seem to not be in that day, at that age, in the flash of a moment. The world is a broken place. People are messy, but life is worth living -- thanks for making it a beautiful place by being a truth teller, J.
JK said…
Thank you, Unknown.

"The world is a broken place. People are messy, but life is worth living." Yes, yes, and most definitely yes.

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky