A Little Down But Not Completely Out

The darn cold bug found me and crawled inside. Runny nose then stuffy nose then runny nose. Tired. Scratchy throat. I can't remember the last time I had a cold. When this one passes, I hope it's a long, long time before I get another one.

Funny Delightful Son came home from school Friday. He prepared homemade pizza for all of us Saturday evening, and we sat around the kitchen table for several hours enjoying his creations. Lovely Beautiful Daughter had a squishy pink elephant named Ernest along, telling us about his escapades during the time she was at her second job, a Chinese restaurant. It was obvious the restaurant wasn't busy and she along with her co-worker were filling the time with silliness.

At one point during dinner, I got up to check on Ado. He'd been sequestered to my bedroom since FDS's plus one was visiting and LBD's plus one was also visiting. Ado isn't a fan of either. Though he's met them several times and even seemed to come to terms with the two new people coming into the apartment, he still goes into protective guard dog mode each time they show up. So the bedroom seemed like the best way to go for the evening. Every now and then, though, he would scratch at the door and whine a bit, wanting out.

Upon my return to the table, FDS said I was going to have to call the handyman and ask him to come over and fix the door Ado was scratching up with each swipe of a paw. I could tell from his grin he was teasing me. He thinks it's incredibly funny the handyman asked me to dinner several weeks ago. All of my kids think my reaction to his invitation was quite funny -- I felt sheer terror and declined the offer. Not long after the handyman incident, the pest control guy showed up to spray the exterior and interior of the apartment. FDS and I were in the garage putting a bike together for him to take to school when he arrived. From the moment he got out of the car it was pretty obvious he was flirting with me. FDS takes every opportunity he can to poke fun at me over that one, too. I'm glad I can be a source of entertainment for him. Actually, I think FDS is just taking the opportunity to get back at me for all the teasing I did of him when he was a child. What goes around, comes around, right?

Today I mainly just went through the motions to get through the day. This cold is really kicking my tush, and all I want to do is sleep. I did manage to make it through dinner with Lovely Beautiful Daughter, though eating was a chore since I can't breathe through my nose. I had to stop chewing a lot just to take a breath. It's really interesting to me how we don't notice all the little things we automatically do, like breathe through our now when we eat, until it's difficult to do those things. Makes me pause and say a silent thank you. Perhaps that's why the cold bug found me in the first place -- to show me just how healthy I usually am and be thankful for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky