A Day of Many, Many Deep Breaths

Another morning with mist rising up from the bottom of the hillside. As Ado and I walked down the hill, I looked behind us and could see our footsteps in the soggy grass. My shoes soaked through from the dew and sloshed with each step.

On cool days like this, Ado likes to walk faster and is even playful. He'll turn towards me then jump ahead as if he wants to run. He'll turn back to me and grab at his leash, take hold of it and begin prancing along as if he's taking me on a walk. Such a difference from the hot, humid days of summer when he drags himself along behind me.

When we reached the bottom of the hill, we walked around the patch of wildflowers. The spider webs adorning the goldenrod and thistles stood out, the mist having covered them. I really wanted to hang around and see what everything looked like when the sun finally made it above the trees, but I had to be at work a bit earlier than usual since I'd been asked to do a short thesis workshop in a history class. I'm hoping the mist and the spiderwebs are back on display tomorrow morning so I can see how the sunlight interacts with them. I do have an early meeting, but if I'm five or ten minutes late, it won't hurt anything. Nature and all its beauty trump work meetings anytime.

Today work was . . . well, how should I put it . . . a debacle. A planned upgrade to our computers began, which we'd been told would happen. At least everyone but me had been told, it seems. An email went out on Monday saying the upgrade would be taking place, and if we had any questions we were to ask before the upgrade began. A colleague of mine responded, asking what she needed to do before to make sure her files were protected. She received no answer.

Instead, an IT person began going from office to office today, installing the upgrades. I saw him go into my neighbor's office as I sat at my desk just before I had to go do the workshop. I didn't think anything of it (since I'd never received the supposed email about the upgrades -- I've searched and searched for that email -- I never got it!). I left my office, went and did the workshop, then returned to my office and logged back into my computer. When the desktop came up, everything I'd had there was gone. I began searching every drive on the computer. All my folders/files/docs were gone.

I walked down the hall and asked a colleague if she still had all of her folders/files/docs after her computer being upgraded. She logged in to find that whatever she'd had on the desktop and C drive was gone. When I stepped out of her office, I saw said IT person come out of another colleague's office, and I told him about my folders/files/docs being gone. He said they weren't, that they were probably just all in a folder somewhere on my computer. We went back to my office where he began searching. Long story short -- everything is gone.

In the end, nine of us had folders/files/docs lost because of the upgrade. We were told this could have been avoided had we put these on the cloud. We said it could have been avoided had we been properly warned about the upgrade taking place. Every other time an upgrade has happened, we'd been warned to save all folders/files/docs -- whatever -- to the cloud or travel drive. This time, there'd been no warning. Just a temp IT person given a master key to go from office to office to complete the upgrades (a temp IT person who was fired over this -- if I'd not stopped him when I did, he would have kept going to more offices, doing more computers. Personally, I think one or two other individuals should be axed because of this, those over the temp who let him loose without first being sure he knew what he was doing).

I'm still kind of in shock over losing years of work. I'm trying to be a good sport. I'm trying to take responsibility for not putting the work on the cloud. I'm finding both very difficult, though, since I never received the email about the upgrade happening. I know me. If I'd received that email, I would have moved the folders/files/docs to a safe place. I absolutely would have. Just like I did every other time there was an upgrade to my work computer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky