Hints of Fall

Mist rose from the hillside this morning when Ado and I set out for our walk. The hot days then nights cooling way off effect. The night temps have dipped so much since the rain moved through last week that I've had to wear a sweatshirt for our early morning walks along the still-quiet streets. I love this time of day. Before everything gets hectic. Before someone says something that makes you pause or something happens that makes you just shake your head.

The entire day has been absolutely gorgeous. Sunny but a cool breeze to keep the heat at bay. The sky without a single cloud. Yesterday on my way to work I noted how there were no clouds whatsoever. When I started home later in the afternoon, the clouds had moved in but they were just puffy white fluffs drifting slowly along. Today I figured the same would happen -- clear blue in the morning but fluffy clouds in the afternoon. I was wrong. There are no clouds. Just the blue expanse.

Yesterday Angel Baby arrived home from work to find the screen knocked out of one of the front windows. The screen doesn't fit all that great, but we've been using it so we can keep the window open on these cool days. Sometimes Ado will jump up on the windowsill and knock the screen with one of his massive paws, pushing it out of place, and when he does this, the screen always goes outwards. The weird thing about the screen yesterday was it had been knocked inwards and was lying against the cedar chest underneath the window. Angel Baby texted me to let me know what he found, and when I got home he walked me through what he'd come home to.

I'm pretty sure I know what happened. I've seen a squirrel up on the brick ledge of the window. It walks along the bricks from one side of the window to the other. I think it was on the ledge, got spooked by Ado noticing it from inside and rushing the window, and it ran smack into the window that cranks out rather than slides up. When it ran into the open window, it bounced into the screen, thus pushing the screen inward. Maybe. That's really the only logical scenario I can come up with. Plus, a string of bulbs I have along the ledge to light up the patio area if I'm out after dark had been pushed off the ledge. Three of the bulbs broke. I can see a squirrel doing this more than I can see a person doing it. Besides, if anyone tried to get inside with Ado here, someone he doesn't know, they'd be a bloody mess before it was all over. Still, I really wish I'd been here to actually see what happened.

On our walk this evening, just a sliver of a moon could be seen in the western sky. So thin. The crows were flying to their nightly nesting area over by ISU. I'm always amazed by how many pass overhead. High enough I can't hear their wings. Just silence. A lovely sight against the deepening blue of the sky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light