Tuesday, January 21, 2014

One Weird Night

Every now and then I have a restless night. Last night was one, mostly due to the window near our bed that, when it was hit with a gust of wind, created a high-pitched whistling. And I'm not talking about a melodious whistling, a la Francesco Bonifazi. No. I'm talking about an ear-splitting trill. Not real conducive to sleeping (although Hubby snored right through it all). At 2 am I went searching amidst the kitchen odds-n-ends drawer for some tape to run over the gap between the bottom and top windows, finding only some electrical tape. Being desperate, I stretched the tape along the gap, only having enough to do a partial job. It would have to do, so I snuggled back under the comforter. The next blast of wind whined through the gap. The little bit of tape didn't do. I pulled the comforter up around my head, leaving just a small hole through which to breathe. The unfortunate whistling continued.

After ten more minutes of the obnoxious noise, I folded a hand towel and put it on the gap, knowing it wasn't going to help but thinking maybe, just maybe . . .. It didn't help at all. At 3 am, I decided to go to the couch, and while the couch isn't my comfy bed, the living room was at least quiet. As agitated as I was, I didn't fall back to sleep quickly. When it seemed like I had just finally fallen asleep, my cell phone rang. I answered it to hear a school reach message telling me the boys were being given a snow day due to inclement weather, e.g. the winds blowing 75 mph (that might be a tad bit of an exaggeration) giving us a wind chill of -20 degrees (for real--I saw it on the news), plus the drifting snow. I had been granted a reprieve. I didn't have to get up at 5:30. I could actually get two and a half hours more of sleep.

Not to be. At 5:45, right after I had again just fallen back to sleep, Hubby came into the living room, telling me it was time to get up. In what I am sure was a very unkind, grouchy voice, I said, "The boys don't have school, and I don't have class until 9:30." Hubby turned and left, closing the double doors behind him. A half hour later, Funny Delightful Son came in but left when I feigned sleep. Why is he up, I wondered. He always knows before I do that school has been canceled. Apparently not this morning. Apparently both boys got up without me having to get them up and proceeded to get ready for school. If I truly was as mean as I'm always being told I am, I would have gone with it and made like school really was in session. I would have watched them leave, laughing the whole time, wishing I could see their faces when they got to the school only to find out no one else was there. Unfortunately, Hubby informed them of the snow day before I finally pulled myself from the couch to see what all the commotion was about. Darn!

Though I missed out on pulling the best prank ever on the boys, I did have one of the funniest dreams ever. During my finally sleeping time between the phone call at 5 am and Hubby coming in at 5:45 am to get me up, I dreamed I was in our living room and so were a bunch of wild animals: a squirrel, a baby polar bear, a rather large bird with a very large crest on its head (sorta like Woody Woodpecker), and a whole host of other animals. They were coming in from the cold, and all I kept asking was, "How are they getting in?" As I was asking this, I was trying to take a picture of the baby polar bear to show everyone what was in my living room. The dang bear kept hiding behind the furniture, never letting me get my picture.

No comments: