Day Two of Not Eating Out

Tonight's Homemade Dinner: Fish and Scallops Stew with Homemade Bread

 
Update: I got to thinking after I posted the picture about how much it cost for this dinner. It fed three (Hubby isn't a fan of fish--he bought himself a frozen pizza, which I am not figuring into the cost for the meal), and speaking for myself, the one bowl with one piece of bread was very filling. The boys ate a couple slices of bread. Angel Baby loved the stew and told me as much at least three times. I think he was disappointed in only getting one bowl of it. Funny Delightful Son liked the stew but wasn't enamored with the scallops. Their texture reminded him of bacon fat and he's not a fan of bacon or bacon fat (sigh--bacon is simply delicious).

Anyway, back to the cost. When I added up the costs of the ingredients, the stew and bread together came to $4.58 per person, or $13.75 total. While the stew was completely gone, I still have bread left over for toast or sandwiches. The total cost is nearly a quarter of what we spend when we four go out. We rarely get away from eating out for less than $50. So, even though the scallops cost $20 for the bag, I only used about 1/4 of them and still have more for other meals. It just makes more sense to put our money into groceries than into going out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky