Weird Moment

I was getting ready for work this morning, about 5:30ish, and I was thinking about working out after class was over. The very happy thought I get to run this afternoon ran through my mind. I stopped and laughed. That was the first time I've ever been happy about running. Most of the time I dread the run. My legs always feel tired. My shoulders and arms feel like weights are pulling them down. Running is seldom a pleasant activity for me. But I can't not run.

So this evening I walked briskly to the University track. I've been reading a lot lately on working to improve speed, so I gave it a go. I only did one mile of speed work, probably not near enough to really do anything good for me overall, but this is a new approach, and dopey me ate too much watermelon before I went to the track . . .. Unfortunately, no porta-potty is available at the track. I decided to head home before a trickle began running down my leg. Most of the time I can get through a run without embarrassing myself, but every now and then, my luck runs out.

The speed work went well. I used my HRM to gauge my time/speed, and I accomplished my goal: a nine minute mile. My next 5k is in a month. I'm hoping the speed work helps me meet my goal of a sub 29 5K, but I know I'm going to have to do more than just a mile of speed work if I really want to run a 29. Having a partner would definitely help, but it's just me. I'm just going to have to dig deep inside, find that self-determination I know I have.

Even now, many hours after the thought I get to run flitted through my mind, I'm still smiling about it. I hope this thought becomes the norm rather than the exception.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light