Ten Days to Relay

After not running for more than a week, other than the mile and a half in the horse pasture, I went out and got in three miles. It actually felt kind of good. One thing I'm learning from running is that my body is better and/or worse depending on the time of the month. The closer I get to "that time," the worse my legs and arms feel when I first start out. Heavy, tired. Right after "that time," the better I feel all the way around. Lighter, energetic. I'm learning I get about two and half weeks of feeling really good when I run. Then I have to suffer through a week and a half of rottenness. Unfortunately only a week and two days separate me and the relay I'm running in, and I'll be closer to "that time" than I want to be.

But I'll run it and give it my best shot. I still have a goal of running the 5k under thirty, and I was so close at the duathlon when I felt horrible and actually started "that time" the next day. And I've been concentrating on core work and speed work since then, and a whole lot of head work which involves positive thinking and mantras while I'm working out, so maybe, just maybe, I will pull this one off. I'm going to try something new for this race, too--writing a mantra on each hand so if the rotten creeps up on me I can look at my hands and find inspiration. I've found successful runners do this, so I figure I might as well give it a try.

So, it's time to start the countdown to the relay. Ten days. Ten days to get in some final training.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Night Sky

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why