Finding My Bliss

As Ado and I started off on our late afternoon walk, I thought, I am in charge of my bliss. The longer we walked, the more settled into that idea I became. I felt the same comfort that washed over me last year in mid April, when I walked the grounds of Allerton, listening to the owls calling, and I thought, I am free. It is in these moments that I see the path in front of me more clearly.

I received a critique for my haiku. A 540-word critique on 54 words of haiku. I had to laugh when I saw that. I figured the person really didn't like my poems if the need to write ten times more for critique seemed necessary. The critique was mixed, which is fine, and some good suggestions were offered. I've decided I'm done with the haiku, though, so I won't be making any further changes. I sent a thank-you note to the person who critiqued, then moved on with my day.

A wood thrush, I think. It was really sad to watch it fade away.
This afternoon, Ado and I snuggled on the couch so I could watch a couple episodes of "Superstore." This show is just too funny. Definitely not much to have to think about while watching. Just enjoying the silly humor. Not long into the second episode, a loud thunk drew our attention to the windows. I went over to see what had hit, and huddled on the deck was a brown bird. When I got to it, it showed signs of serious distress. I had a hunch it wasn't going to make it. Ten minutes later, it died in my hand. While I love the wall of windows, I really hate how often birds fly into them. Thankfully most recover and fly off. This was the first that did not.

Prepping the pie.
To help me get out of the funk of the bird dying, I made a strawberry-rhubarb pie. Lovely Beautiful Daughter and I went grocery shopping, and while there I saw the rhubarb. Since it's almost summer, and since I've started cycling again, that means pie is a must. The best pie by far is strawberry-rhubarb, so I bought a pound of rhubarb, two pounds of strawberries, and the pie became a reality.


The pie! Definitely part of the equation for finding my bliss.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky