Pilfered Peonies Adorn My Desk and I Adore Them!

Each day this week the heat has closed in around 90 degrees. I have a stack of paperback books on my desk, and the humidity curls back the cover of the top book. I shift it to go underneath the second book so the cover will flatten out. I end up shifting each top book every so often throughout the day. They all end up taking a turn at having their cover curl.

I finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy and The Last Coyote by Michael Connelly this week. The first is quite a fast read, and I'm not sure why I've not read it before now. I've seen the movie, but I just never thought about reading the book until a colleague brought it up recently. I truly enjoyed it -- well, not the subject matter so much, or the ending -- but rather the way McCarthy fashions phrases, offers an objective viewpoint. I found myself rereading paragraphs, sentences, phrases as I was taken by the image, the metaphor, the feel created through the words.

The second book is a Harry Bosch crime novel. I've seen each season of Bosch on Amazon, and I've read six of the Harry Bosch novels. My goal is to read all of them. I have twelve to go. It's fun seeing where the TV show writers pull from the novels to build the episodes. All in all, the writers have done a nice job of creating the character on screen.

I'm still working to finish The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I'm nearly done, but for some reason I ended up putting it down and not returning to it. I'm not sure why. I've really enjoyed the story and find Atwood's writing style engaging. Somewhere along the way, though, I got interrupted. Most likely the last two weeks of the semester crowded out any entertainment.

While I've not totally been away from work -- still putting my summer class together -- I haven't been swamped by it. I haven't done anything work related today. I think everyone needs to take a day or two here and there to do all things not connected to work. Today, Ado and I took two walks before 10 am, and since then, I did the grocery shopping, spent a few hours with Lovely Beautiful Daughter, and, well, that's about it.

Oh, and breathing in the heavenly scent of the peonies I pilfered from an abandoned farm yesterday when I drove out to get eggs. After I brought the flowers home, I wrote this:

Peony petals
layers red tinged white unfold,
exhale, heaven scent

While I've not written any new poetry lately, I have jotted down pieces, parts, maybe's, and hmmmm's. Little bits that I'm hoping one day will come together, create a something.

The pilfered peonies. I can't get enough of their luscious perfume.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light