Waiting Out the Silence

Instead of grading the last of the papers I have waiting for me, I've been tinkering with some haiku. Writing my own and critiquing that of others. A contest opened up on the site where I submit my work for critique, so I thought, humph, I might as well give it a whirl. During March and April I turned my attention away from the poetry to work on another project, so the contest seemed like an opportunity to churn something out and practice a particular form.

I've found many ideas hit me quite hard during my long walks with Ado, so I snapped the leash onto his collar and we set off. During that walk, three ideas for haiku took shape. As soon as I got home, I started working on them. By the time I finished later that evening, I had six haiku I was happy with. I submitted them to the site for critique, which is required for the contest, and went back to my other project.

Usually it takes all of a couple hours to get multiple critiques on the work submitted to the site. With the haiku, two days have passed and nothing. I just went in to check the reader stats, and I've had 20 people read them, four of these people having read them more than once, but no one has offered a critique or a comment. Nothing. My work apparently has evoked the notorious cricket, cricket, cricket. What's kind of funny is one of my haiku is about crickets! I just don't know why everyone else who has submitted has received multiple critiques or comments. What gives?

Despite the very loud silence in response to my submission, I am finding joy in other things, such as this:


Baltimore Oriole: what a beauty!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky