Dark, Heavy Clouds . . .

and breezy days mean fall is on its way. Along with it comes less daylight after arriving home from work, which means less time to ride. I know eventually there'll come a day when I won't be able to go out after work as it will be completely dark. Then it will be time to set the bike up in the garage and pedal away in front of the TV. Could be a good way to get in some movies I haven't seen but would like to.

Fall is such a beautiful season. Definitely my favorite. There's just something about the fading away that happens. It's like the earth is saying, "Okay, I'm tired. I need to take a nap." I know the feeling--almost every single day I feel that way around 2 p.m.

Each day I look forward to that one more detail that says fall is here. Today it was the leaves scattered along the bike path I take to work. The leaves float into the air as my tires wisk past, then settle back down into another haphazard pattern. In a couple of weeks the leaves will cover the path completely. Not too long after, maybe it'll be snow. Will I be brave enough to ride then?

Harvest has started, too. It won't be long before all the fields are bare, opening up the horizon for miles. Every time we ride out in the rural areas, my body yearns to be there again.
It's all I can do to turn my back and pedal once more to the city. I keep hoping that one day I'll be able to stand in my yard and watch the combines working the fields, watch the grain trucks haul the golden corn to the elevators, breathe in the open space.

Comments

I'm anticipating fall and the cooler weather. I like riding at night mainly because it gives me an excuse to use my lights, since I'm kind of a light nut. Brighter=better. And on the bike, we notice the little differences as the season changes, don't we?

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky