Just One Ride

This week's been kinda crazy, and I was only able to ride this afternoon. Well, I guess riding to work and home counts, but since that's a short ride, I don't really consider it a ride. The commute has become such a part of what I do everyday that I just think of it as part of my work day and not part of my ride time. I guess it's become a given that I ride to work these days. That's a good feeling.

This evening I actually had a couple of hours to get in a ride. We did the ride to the lake and back, around 23 miles, and it felt so good. The wind going up blew around 15 mph, out of the northwest. My bike veered to the right a couple of times when the wind gusted. Other than that, the ride up went well. Cool and sunny--couldn't ask for better. The ride back was faster with the wind mostly at our backs. I was cruising along when I heard Hubby yell that his shoelace was caught in the chain. We stopped for him to get that taken care of. A little further on, he called to me that his chain had come off. We stopped so he could put it back on. When we about three miles out, we heard a loud pop come from his bike, and his back wheel began to wobble back and forth. A spoke had broken. This same thing happened last Sunday during our 50 miler after he rode over some horrible railroad tracks, and unbeknownst to us we kept riding, not realizing he was warping his wheel. When we got home, Hubby was putting his bike away when he saw he had a problem. He took it to the shop the next day, got it back in working order yesterday, and had the same problem happen today. This is a brand new bike, what I thought was a fairly nice one, but now I'm beginning to wonder.

I ended up hightailing it home the last three miles to get the truck and go back for Hubby. I had to ride by the local high school that was having homecoming, so I had lots of traffic to keep watch of. Pedestrians, too. I had to call out to a young girl crossing the street as she wasn't paying a bit of attention. If I hadn't yelled, we would have collided. That got my heart pounding.

Quite the eventful ride this evening. Hopefully the next one won't be so much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light