Commuter Challenge

This week my workplace is participating in a commuter challenge involving giving up the car for walking, biking, taking public transportation, or carpooling. When I saw the email encouraging everyone to take part, I couldn't resist joining. This goes right along with my desire to drive less and bike more.

For three days now I've biked to work. Being on the bike is just becoming a part of who I am and I'm working now to figure out how to continue when the weather turns nasty. I did find a raincoat for those just-in-case days, like Monday. The forecast called for rain. I packed the raincoat but didn't need it. Tomorrow the rain is supposed to move in, so I'll pack the slicker again with the hopes of not needing it. Slowly, little by little, I'm getting the small details figured out. I know I'm going to miss things here and there, but I'm beginning to believe that even if I do get drenched on the way to work, it won't be a big deal. I'll dry--eventually. Since I go so early not many people will see me arriving as a drowned rat, and if I can make someone's day by me being soaked, then hey, that's okay. At least they'll have a smile on their face all day because of the wet teacher pedaling up to the bike rack.

I wanted to get a ride in today after work, but when I walked through the door I was so tired. I just wanted to curl up on the bed and sleep. So I did, but only for about twenty minutes. My daughter knocked on the door to tell me supper was ready. I'm still tired now. And being tired makes me annoyed. Being tired stems from the hours of reading and responding to student papers, which is my job, but after almost twenty years of doing this, I'm ready for a break. I need to make a change. Problem is I can't since I'm the only one working right now. We need my income.

I know things could be much worse. I know I'm fortunate to have a stable, relatively good-paying job with benefits. But I'm tired. What's the answer? Just keep on keeping on, I guess. And try to see the sunshine through the clouds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky