Last Garage Workout?

I ran three miles this evening, followed by two miles of walking at a 3% incline on the treadmill in the garage. The temp was a chilly 38 degrees. I've learned how to dress for the garage, so I usually am completely warmed up after the first half mile, and by the end of my hour workouts, I'm sweating pretty good. Tonight, though, might be my last garage workout for awhile because tomorrow the new fitness facility at work opens for faculty use. I'm all set. I've already pulled out my gym bag, packed it with shorts, shirt, shoes and other assorted workout paraphernalia and am ready to test all the new equipment. It'll be heaven to wear a simple t-shirt with shorts rather than three layers of clothes that end up feeling heavy by the time I'm finished.

The last time I set foot in a gym was three years ago. Hubby and I joined a gym here and went regularly throughout the entire year. We enjoyed the swimming and the use of the cardio machines, but we hated having to spend twenty minutes driving just to use the facility. We decided after our year membership ended that we would just buy our own equipment and workout here. We bought the treadmill and P90X, and that's when we created our own Biggest Loser Challenge. Hubby walked while I did the 90 days of P90X. We tracked our progress with weigh in's and pictures every thirty days. I loved doing P90X, loved seeing the changes in muscle tone over the 90-day period. While I didn't lose a lot of weight, I did muscle up nicely. At the end of the 90 days, I kept going, deciding then I was going to start running.

And that's when the love/hate relationship with running began. I started out slowly, walking then running then walking, etc. By June I was running more regularly and decided to sign up for a 5k. I ran my first 5k in November, with my daughter who was a runner for the high school cross country team. I was so glad she was with me. She's what got me through that first 5k. I've continued with the running ever since, but it's been a struggle. I do think I have a better attitude now, a little more than a year beyond that first 5k. I've come to understand I'm my own worst enemy; if I want to get faster I have to really work at it. I have to become uncomfortable.

I'm looking forward to being uncomfortable tomorrow in the new fitness facility. Who knows, maybe I'll even be able to shoot some hoops in the new gymnasium.

Comments

Natalia said…
Very nice job on the run! You are racking up those miles! I agree with your analysis: getting uncomfortable is the way forward. Looking forward to hearing how the new gym works out. Good job on finding your widget again :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky