Fatigued

Late last evening, Hubby and I went for our swim. I swam 1000 yards. This morning, we went to the rec center early, and I tried to run. The fatigue set in at mile 2. I tried to keep going, but my body said no. I stopped the treadmill for a couple of seconds, turned it back up to 6 mph, but within a few steps my body said, please, please stop. I just couldn't go on. This is the first time I've ever bonked like that.

I'm thinking one of two things happened, or maybe it was a combination of the two factors I'm seeing as the culprits for shortening my run. Last evening's swim was one of the best I've had. I'm trying to add a 100 yards to each swim, and I'm trying not to stop and rest after each lap. When I climbed out of the pool, I felt a sense of true accomplishment. And I was tired.

This morning, we went back to the rec center 12 hours after swimming. I didn't eat breakfast before going, and I only had a banana last evening after the swim. My system was low on fuel. Combine that with not enough rest between workouts and the formula for a less than stellar performance was created. I'm happy I was able to get 2 miles in, along with the abs work, but I need to establish a better schedule, for working out and for eating.

One purchase I made recently to help with the eating is the Blender Bottle. It's fantastic. That little wire blender ball mixes the protein powders thoroughly, not leaving any of those awful clumps like spoons do.With my class schedule, sometimes having lunch is difficult. With the Blender Bottle, I can mix up a protein drink and take it to class with me. Now I have no reason to go for six or seven hours without eating. Of all the gizmos I've bought over the years, the Blender Bottle has to be one of the very best. I'm thinking of getting another one so I have one at work and one at home.

Today's bonk made me sit back and take notice. After cruising along for awhile now, not having an injury or feeling overly tired, reality reared its head. I should have known this easy street couldn't last.

Comments

Natalia said…
Wow, 1000 yards is serious swimming! And just a banana between that and running. No wonder you bonked! If I am feeling a bit low on energy, I try and have some yogurt with blueberries or an apple about an hour before my workout. If I am desperate and I don't have time, I have a chocolate frosting GU. I know it's not for everyone, but that tastes great and work very well. Nice top on the blender- ta!
J said…
That is a whole lotta swimming! Wow!

Don't completely wear yourself out. Were you pushing yourself too far in too many areas at once? Definitely fuel up. You'll feel the difference.
Are you giving yourself one day's rest each week? That works wonders, too.
JK said…
I thought I had a pretty good workout schedule figured around my work schedule, but I'm realizing I need to change when I workout. Working out in the morning right after working out the evening before isn't the best way to go. I've re-evaluated things and now have an all-mornings workout schedule, giving me plenty of rest between. I've also started eating 6 times a day rather than 3. It'll be interesting to see how this changes things.

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light