Restless

Now that I'm on day five of no class, no students, no papers to read and respond to, I feel myself becoming restless. Especially after yesterday, a day of not leaving the house. At all. Not even to just open the door to stick my head outside. My one day hermit experience was bliss. But one day is about all I can do.

Work in Progress
My day of staying inside was productive, though; I finished my latest short story, the one that started out in a very different direction from where it ended up. I knew I wanted an older woman, late 60's maybe early 70's, to be the main character. I knew I wanted her to have set up a garage sale. After that, I had no clue where to go. The story started out with her daughter bringing over things that didn't belong to her, and the person the items did belong to showed up, seeing all her things for sale.  I just didn't know where to go from there. I decided to get rid of the daughter, let the story flow from the older woman, her memories of all the items she'd set out that other people were now taking away to their own homes. Once I made that change, the story started coming, but I still didn't know how to end it. I do much better if I know the ending. If I know the ending then I can create the road to get there. If I don't know, I sort of wander all over, taking side roads that lead nowhere. A couple of days ago, the ending came to me when I woke up around 3:30 in the morning. Yesterday, the story came to that ending, and I felt like I'd run an uphill 5k when I typed the final period.

Now I'll let the story sit for a couple of days then return to it to revise. This makes four completed stories for the collection I'm putting together. I have two that I'm going to revise to fit with the collection. That leaves four more to write.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky