When It Pays Not To Take A Snow Day

The snow came during the night, putting another thick layer on top of the layer that fell right after Christmas. The clean of the white sparkled under the street lights. Looking out our upstair's bedroom window this morning at dawn, I thought maybe three inches. An hour and a half later, when I walked out to go to work, I found the accumulation was more like six or seven inches. Our street hadn't been plowed, and even main street was a mess. Most (all) of the local schools had declared a snow day, so the kids were home for the day, but my place of higher education remained in session. Since the students are not back yet, and only faculty are there preparing for next week's first days of the spring semester, the higher ups decided we should report. Thankfully I have a four-wheel drive vehicle, so I was fine getting to work. Most of my colleagues, though, decided the snow day applied to them and didn't come in. I took advantage of the situation and completed the copying of documents necessary for classes that will begin on Monday. Knowing I won't have to fight for the copy machine tomorrow or Monday is a wonderful feeling. While I don't care one way or the other that my colleagues didn't show up, I will have some fun watching them stress out over having to deal with taking turns to copy all the documents required for the first day of classes. Some, no doubt, will even bemoan the fact they'll have to go in Saturday or Sunday in order to get the copying finished in time. Should I be snarky and say, "Yeah, I'm so glad I showed up when everyone else took a snow day. I had the copier all to myself. It was wonderful"?

Now the wind is blowing the light snow, creating drifts. Another one to three inches of snow is to fall overnight, the winds increasing. Perhaps we'll get a real snow day tomorrow. I'm good with that. I'm ready to go for my classes on Monday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky