Two Weeks To Training

This evening the informational meeting for the mini-tri took place. My friend and I attended, along with about thirty others. The ages ranged from around twenty to sixties, so I was pleased to see I wasn't the only over-40 person there. The instructor emphasized how the training was to help us complete the mini-tri, not to win our respective gender/age divisions. I was really glad to hear that as I know I'm not going to be competitive in the running part, especially since the running is the last leg of the race. I think I'll do okay with the swimming and pretty good with the biking, but the running is going to be tough. I have right at three months to train. I need to kick it into gear.

The problem is everything else going on. The boys have basketball several times a week, so we're running to different schools anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour away. I'm trying to spend some time working on the book; I've made a good start and am determined to keep going. I really want to see this book come to fruition. I truly believe it has the possibility of becoming a great story. With work, the overload and the hours I have to spend prepping, the time needed to read and respond to student work, a huge chunk is taken out of my days. The frustration over time is mounting. Deep down, I know I have two choices: get up earlier and work out before getting ready for work, or stay up later and work out before going to bed. I loathe both of these options as I need at least eight hours of sleep to feel 100%, but if I want to put my all into this training and compete at my best, I need to get over myself and just do it. Between the two options, staying up later is more doable.

When I think about all the pieces of my life that are contributing to the frustration I'm feeling right now, part of me wonders exactly why I decided training for the mini-tri would be a good thing to do. All I did in making this decision was add something to my life to complicate things. For someone who strives to simplify, adding an element like mini-tri training seems counterintuitive. Another part of me, though, disagrees and sees the training addition as a lesson connected to the spiritual direction I am trying to take my life. Being mindful of what my body can do is something I want to focus on, and the training will allow me to do that. I will have to adjust my life some, and I will, because this is important to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky