Students Cheating

This week I had my students read an article about cheating/plagiarism. When class met, I asked the students straight up if any of them had cheated. Almost all of my students admitted to cheating, and on more than several occasions. While I had prepared myself for some students admitting to having cheated, I wasn't prepared for the number of hands that actually went up.

Most of the class.

Stunning.

The class discussed why students cheat, offering reasons like running out of time for when a project is due and simply being lazy. We then discussed ways to avoid running out of time and ways to overcome being lazy. At times, I see such honesty and such willingness to try to do better, but what happens when they walk out the door is out of my hands. I hope they at least think about the class discussion while they are working on their class projects, taking the initiative to do the work on the up and up. If their thoughts return to the class discussion, perhaps they will feel inclined to work on their integrity, just a little, just enough to make themselves feel a smidgeon of pride for doing honest work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky