Lazy Weekend

A good weekend is one when no papers litter my desk, waiting for me to finally turn my attention to them, reading them and stamping a grade on them. All last week I spent hours reading journal entries, Comp I and Comp II papers. When Thursday afternoon rolled around, I sighed with relief at having a couple of days with no reading to do. At least reading I didn't really look foward to. I have been reading--about container gardening, which I hope to do lots of this summer.

All of us are beginning to get antsy with these cold days seeming to be never ending. If the sun is shining, the wind is blowing, putting the wind chill into single or minus zero digits. We're ready to get out of the house, but the wind keeps chasing us back inside. I have been out long enough to stand on the back deck, looking over our small patio area behind the house and contemplating how to arrange the pots of plants. We don't have a lot of room, but from what I've been reading, I can have quite a few pots with a variety of veggies. I'm even hoping to try my hand at container fruit trees. Dwarf apples, maybe a peach tree or two.

For now, all I can do is think about spring, planting fruits and veggies. The good thing is we are slowly edging towards March, bringing us closer to warmer temps. The bad thing is the warmer temps, the promise of greening, of flowers, of trees leafing out in April, also brings spring fever, making it very difficult for me to concentrate on student papers and other work-related matters. Thankfully, I have two personal days yet to be used, so I am thinking they may come in handy in the coming weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky