I'm Gonna Try Juice Fasting

For around 40 days now, I've been doing an in-home workout routine to get into shape. Over the past 5 years, I've gained about 20 pounds, and while I knew I was gaining weight, I wasn't really bothered by it until this past Thanksgiving when we were in Flordia for vacation. I could really tell, more than ever, that my clothes didn't fit well. My hair was starting to look stringy and dingy. The energy just wasn't what it used to be several years ago. I really wanted to start a better approach to eating and exercising right then and there, but I resorted to excuses: three kids who needed to eat what they like, a husband who constantly undermined my efforts to eat healthfully, work, etc. One of my excuses really is a problem--my husband is difficult to deal with when it comes to food. He loves to eat, and he eats anything and everything, which shows. He could stand to lose 70 pounds easily. So I let the excuses continue to keep me from changing my bad habits.

Finally, two days after Christmas, my husband said, "Let's go buy a treadmill and do our own biggest loser competition." I grabbed my coat and purse as fast as I could and headed out the door before he could change his mind. We spent that day looking at different treadmills, trying them out and discussing what we'd like to have for our competition. We settled on a mid-range model, and since that day, my husband has walked at least 30 minutes each day. I walked for the first ten days or so then switched over to the P90X workout. I really wanted something other than walking, and the P90X is definitely not a walking workout. It's so much more. I absolutely love the variety offered with the 12 different DVDs, and I love being able to do the workout in the comfort of my own living room.

Hubby and I took Day 1 photos: front, side, back. We also took Day 30 photos of the same angles. With Hubby, the change is significant. He has (I should say had) quite the belly going. The belly has shrunk. For me, the change is less visible, but I can tell I'm toning up. All of my pants fit better, looser. All of my shirts can be buttoned without a gap right at the breasts. Overall, Hubby has lost 8 pounds and I have lost 5 pounds. He, right now, is winning the biggest loser contest.

Because he's winning and I want to catch him, I'm going to try a juice fast for the next three days. I've been reading up on juice fasting and think I can handle it for this amount of time. Today I started with a carrot, celery, and zuchinni juice--a bit on the sickingly-sweet side, but what I didn't do that I will from now on is dilute the juice with water. Hopefully that will make it a bit more palatable. The more difficult part of this whole adventure is being stong enough to say no to what the rest of the family is eating. The tug I feel to eat foods high in fat and calories is overwhelming at times. This fascinates me--what causes this? Can I control it? I'll let you know on Sunday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky