Bring On March

Two days remain until a new month begins. My month. March. I'm a Pisces, and on Thursday of next week, I will officially turn 45 years old. Yesterday, in anticipation of my birthday, my son, using his IPod Touch, calculated when I might die. According to the little contraption in the palm of his hand, I have lived 55% of my life, and I can look forward to dying when I am 82 years old. I'll take that. Eighty-two seems like a nice, long life. So, I guess that means I better get busy living. I'm on the downhill slide, and the ride is only going to get going faster the farther away from the top of the hill I get.

With the approach of March comes spring break. Because my kids' spring break is after my own, I'll have the week at home alone during the day. I always look forward to this week as it offers me a chance to do things during the day that I normally don't get the chance to do. Like going to the bookstore and taking as long as I want without someone pulling on my coat sleeve, telling me it's time to go. And like driving the short distance to the beautiful state park nearby, hiking along the lake and photographing (if lucky enough) the shy blue herons. I try not to fill my days with too much going and doing, sometimes just hanging out at home, watching one-star movies. Doing nothing is completely underrated these days.

I've been keeping up with the whole stimulus package issue, as well as other issues affecting our country right now, and to be honest, I'm scared. I'm scared for the future of our wonderful country. It's being torn apart by the people who are in charge. I think the Constitution spells out very clearly how this country is to be run, but it sure seems like those in charge are totally ignoring what the Founding Fathers designed and why they designed it the way they did. The power grab by the new administration is obnoxious. And it's very scary that it is being allowed to do what it is. I've reached the point where I feel like I really need to hunker down, protect what I have in anyway I possibly can. Thankfully, we have no debt other than our house, I have a fairly secure job, and my family is happy to work together in the kitchen every evening, preparing a meal together, eating together and catching up with one another rather than going out to eat, going separate ways, and just not knowing what each other is doing. We definitely are a group of homebodies; I wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe being homebodies will keep us safe (maybe safer is the word I need) through these difficult times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light