Learning to Listen

After last Thursday's ride, a 55 miler that going into I was so tired and didn't really feel like doing but did because I didn't want to sit around the house all afternoon, I took Friday and Sunday off. Saturday's ride was just a slow, short ride on the trail, with some students who had joined the new cycling club at school, so I didn't put much effort in and didn't feel much effect from it. Because of the long weekend, I slept in each morning, went to bed early, and lazed around, reading or watching TV. By this morning, I could feel my body bouncing back, ready to get out and do that 55 miler again. I only did 50, an out and back, and I made my goal of 17 mph for the first 40 miles. The final 10 miles were slow and easy. All of it felt great again, rather than as if I was slogging through pedal stroke after pedal stroke.

I don't like to admit when I'm tired and need a break, but I've realized I'm only going to create more problems if I don't listen to my body. I've been cycling nearly every day since April, with a day off every ten days or so. While I've cut back on the mileage since finishing BTUSFMS, I've still been averaging around 40 miles a day. Fatigue was bound to catch up with me sooner or later. It caught me last Thursday, wrapping its tendrils around my entire body, but I didn't listen. Instead, I went out into 90 degree heat, pedaling west into the sun, having to stop and take breaks every 12 miles or so, and feeling no joy at being on the bike. When I got home, I fell asleep on the couch before 8:30, stumbled up to bed when Hubby roused me around 9:30, and promptly fell asleep as soon as I stretched out on the bed. The next morning, the moment Angel Baby walked out the door to set off to school, I was back in bed for another two hours of sleep. Ummmm, yes, I think I was tired.

I've been very fortunate with my health. No aches. No pains. No injuries. To stay this way, I better start listening a little better when fatigue whispers in my ear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky