The Energy of the Wind

The past few days have been so windy. That's fall in the midwest, I guess. Not that it mattered anyway as I wasn't able to ride a couple of days because I was away at a conference. I could have used the stationary bike in the fitness center, but I opted to spend the time with my colleagues instead. We had a great time, and I was able to get to know better some people I have worked with for several years. So today, after being off for four days, I finally rode, first against the 20 mph wind then with the wind, which was so much more fun. Going 23 mph with so little effort brings out the kid in me, makes me feel like anything is possible. That energy is still with me now, fueled by the music I bought today, a soundtrack with the likes of Beck, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Bob Dylan, and The 13th Floor Elevators. Good stuff.

To help keep me riding through October, I joined a most miles ridden in October challenge. Right now I'm in 13th place. The leader has 104 miles to my 23. Only three days in and I got my work cut out for me if I'm going to be a contender. The challenge has truly become a challenge very early on. I'm hoping this will get me prepared for the century ride just three weeks away. Yikes.

That shot of fear adrenaline just coursed through my limbs thinking about how close the century truly is. This ride will definitely be the defining moment of the year for me. While I thought the sprint tri was a significant physical test for me, and it was--don't get me wrong, I now believe riding 100 miles in less than 8 hours will be much more difficult. Especially if there is wind. And hills.

Right now, I'm not going to worry about the century. I'm going to sit back and listen to my music. I leave you with a clip about Sister Getrude Morgan, whose "New World in my View" is one of the selections on the cd. This is pretty interesting stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light