Quiet Around Here

With the kids away for the week, the house is very quiet. And very clean. Along with the quiet and clean, my husband and I marvel at how little food we actually go through when the three are away. It's weird, a bit of a glimpse at what it'll be like when they are grown and out on their own for real. I'm missing them terribly, so I have a hunch I'm going to go through some rough times when the time for them to make their own way comes. Thank goodness I have a few years yet before this happens. I can take these years to prepare myself.

A good workout day today. We bought a contraption that turns a regular bike into a stationary bike, so rather than sink several hundred dollars into an exercise bike, we turned my husband's ten-speed into a stationary bike for under a hundred bucks. Now we have a treadmill and the bike to workout on. In addition to these, we have the thing-a-ma-jig that we can do pull-ups on, leg lifts on, dips, and an assorted other exercises on. We have our own little gym set up in the garage. It rarely gets below thirty inside, so as long as we are layered, we stay fairly warm. I ran three miles and biked for 15 minutes at a pretty good speed. I'd like to get a mileage readout for the bike to keep track of how far I'm going each time since I need to be able to bike 13.6 miles for the mini-tri. I did a little over six miles yesterday in 20 minutes, so I'm setting a goal of doing the bike portion of the race under 38 minutes. I really don't know if this is trying for too much, but I figure if I can do six miles in 20 minutes now, I should be able to do 13.6 under 40 minutes by the time April rolls around.

These goals will really be tested starting next week when I have to return to work. With work, the kids home, the kids going back to school and their school activities, and everything else going on, I might find I'll have to readjust what I hope to accomplish. My mini-tri buddy set a goal of finishing the event in less than 2 hours; maybe I should shoot for the same myself. That darn competitive side of me keeps rearing its ugly head, though. There's something about being mid-40's and feeling the need to prove things to myself. I need to prove to myself that I can swim the 400 in less than 11 minutes. I need to prove to myself I can bike 13.6 miles in less than 38 minutes. I need to prove to myself that I can run 3.1 miles under 30 minutes. That gives me a total of one hour 19 minutes for the event. I know I can do this.

But when the quiet is gone come Saturday, how will this affect my workout schedule? Maybe I should take the pressure off myself and just stay with finishing under 2 hours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky