Christmas 2009

The festivities are now over, and the itch to take down the tree, the decorations, the lights adorning the porch has struck. I'm determined to get through one more day of leaving everything alone, though, and have decided to do the tedious task tomorrow. In the process, the whole house will get a good cleaning, a winter cleaning, and maybe stay pristeen for a day, perhaps two, like the several inches of snow that has fallen since yesterday. We really did get a white Christmas. A beautiful white Christmas.

While I didn't take a picture of the inside of the mincemeat pie, the filling turned out very tasty. My dad loved it. I could tell by the closing of his eyes as he took his first bite, by the way his face took on a look of pure pleasure as he savored the flavors. He then gave a bite to my brother-in-law who doesn't like mincemeat pie at all, but after one bite of mine, my brother-in-law turned to me and said, "That's not mincemeat." The doctoring of the filling made even a die-hard naysayer come around and admit to liking my very first mincemeat pie.

Our Christmas was very simple this year. The kids each received the one item they really, really, really wanted. And that was about it. Instead of putting a lot of money into things, we scaled back and have been spending more time with each other, more time baking goodies, and more time cooking meals, sitting around our dining room table, and eating the meals. This past week has been one of the most enjoyable we've had in some time, simply because we decided to be with one another.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky