Breakthrough

Hubby is a classic enabler.

Today called for rain. My response: pack my rain jacket and hat just in case the ride home was wet. It was. No worries. I was prepared.

When I walked through the door after work, he asked, "Did you get my text?" I shook my head. "I was going to come get you."

How am I going to follow through on my desire to commute by bike if every time it showers or the temperature dips below 30 he is waiting at the door to load my bike into the truck and drive me home? I've reached the point where I don't mind getting a bit damp or feel a little cold during my ride. I'll dry off, and I'll warm up. Hubby, though, can't seem to wrap his brain around the idea of using the bike as transportation no matter what the weather offers up.

I do understand where he is with his thinking. I was there two years ago when I first tried going car-less. I did okay as long as rain wasn't falling and the temps didn't go below 40. Once the snow came, the bike went up on the hooks in the garage, right alongside Hubby's hybrid and the cruiser. Now my thinking is completely different. My comfort levels changed somewhere along the way, and I no longer worry about how the weather will affect my travels.

When I placed my bag on the kitchen counter and took off my knit hat, sprinkling droplets of water onto the floor, Hubby said, "You're really going to ride no matter what, aren't you?"

I nodded. Yes, I'm really going to ride no matter what.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky