A Very Happy Thanksgiving

It's official. I ate way too much today. All day. Started around 8 this morning and finally took my last bite at 8 this evening. First morsel in was the delicious almond flour with coconut drizzle cinnamon rolls. Last morsel in was the homemade pecan pie baked by Lovely Beautiful Daughter. Now I'm thinking, "What in the world was I thinking?" I've not eaten this much food in one day in . . . probably . . . ever! Tomorrow, I'll get back to eating the way I know I should eat: a lot less and way more thoughtful about what is consumed.

This being the first Thanksgiving without Mom, I was kind of dreading the day. So many of my Thanksgiving memories include her. She would always be up and in the kitchen early, way before the rest of us pulled ourselves out of our warm beds, fixing breakfast for us while at the same time prepping the turkey and preparing the stuffing. Along with the mashed potatoes and gravy, Mom always fixed a cranberry dish for Dad. He was the only one who ate them, but Mom made sure to have a bowl of the deep red berries next to his plate when we all sat down to eat. Pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and mincemeat pie topped off the meal.

What made today not as dreadful as I was thinking it might be was Lovely Beautiful Daughter. She and several of her friends gathered in the kitchen and prepared the meal. And though she totally forgot to put the turkey in the oven, thus delaying our dinner by nearly two hours, having the young people in the house--working together, laughing, playing games while the turkey cooked--gave me much joy. When we finally did sit down to dinner, each of us taking a turn offering what we are thankful for, I felt truly blessed to be surrounded by such a variety of individuals.

Though it's official I ate way to much today, it's also official that today was a good, good day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky