A First--Of Sorts

I don't know what it is about the treadmill, but completing 3 miles under 30 minutes has been impossible since I started running almost two years ago. Maybe it's the monotony of running in place, the scenery not changing. More likely, it's my mindset sabotaging any attempt at running faster than the comfortable 12 minute mile. Let's face it--12 minute miles are quite easy and very doable. I'm living proof of this. I've been doing them for nearly two years now.

The thing is, if I'm going to truly improve my sprint tri time, if I'm going to truly improve my overall fitness, I have to go outside my comfort zone. Even now, as I think about leaving what I'm comfortable with and expending more effort, a feeling of dread fills me. It's like a shot of adrenaline coursing through me, making me hesitate and ask why do this if I don't have to? I have no answer to this question other than I need to prove to myself that I can accomplish more, that more being consistent sub 10 minute miles. So I made a pact with myself a couple of weeks ago: no more 12 minute miles. Ever.

I started with 11 minute miles and found they weren't so difficult after all. Then I started adding in a 10:40 mile here, a 10:20 mile there. This past week, I added in 10:00 miles. And a 9:40 mile. This evening, I started with a 10:00 mile then walked for 5 minutes at 4 mph. I upped the speed from there and ran a 9:20 mile. After another 5 minutes at 4 mph I set the speed at 8:54 and ran a half mile. Five more minutes at 4 mph helped me settle in to finish up a last half mile at 8:20. In the end, I ran 3 miles in 27:50. While I did have the walk breaks, I realized I can find it within to push myself.

I know I still have a ways to go to truly run three consecutive sub 10 minute miles, but I'm getting there. And I will get there.

Comments

J said…
You are amazing. Did you know that? Well, now you do.

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky