Being Happy Without

When I was in the process of buying my little house in the little village surrounded by cornfields, I had a septic inspection completed just to give me peace of mind that the septic system was good to go. I figured it was since a new septic tank had been installed about five years ago, but I wanted to know for sure what I was dealing with. It's an aerobic septic system, one that I'd never heard of, and after reading about these kinds of systems, I felt like having an inspection would help me learn even more. Little did I know that the inspector would issue a violation for the washing machine emptying into a drain in the basement floor. Which he did. Which meant I had three choices: 1) walk away from buying the house; 2) spend the money to plumb the washing machine into the new septic tank; or 3) remove the washing machine all the way around.

The owners of the house had accepted my offer with the condition that I buy the house "As Is." They refused to pay for anything that might crop up during the inspections. They refused to help pay for the septic inspection, which I was fine with, but when the violation was issued for the washing machine emptying into the floor drain, they quickly stepped up and said they would pay $200 towards the cost of correcting the problem. Me thinks they knew this issue might end up being a sticking point with me moving ahead with buying the house, which had been on the market for nearly a year. 

I received the inspection results on a Friday. I had until the following Monday to make my decision about moving forward or stepping away. Not really knowing what to do, I called my wonderful handyman and asked him if he was available to walk me through what it would entail to tie the washer into the septic system. We drove out to the house later that afternoon. When he looked at the situation, he shook his head. I knew what he was thinking wasn't good. To correct the problem was going to cost far more than $200, and then . . . then he looked closer and pointed out how the kitchen sink was also emptying into the basement floor drain. The inspector had missed that. Had he caught it, that would have been another violation. A problem on top of a problem.

In the end, after talking it through with my handyman, I decided to go with option #3: remove the washing machine. He and I then talked the issue through with my realtor who relayed the information to the sellers' realtor. I said I would move forward with buying the house if we had permission to get into the house, remove the washing machine, and plumb the kitchen sink to the septic, which my  handyman quoted a cost of $250. The sellers agreed to the quoted cost and gave us permission to do the work. We got the work done that weekend. The septic inspector returned to the house on Monday and approved the work we did.

When we removed the washing machine, I also removed the dryer. I ended up selling both. Right after I moved in, I removed the microwave. I stored it in the basement until just recently, when I sold it. During the summer, I removed the dishwasher and yes, you guessed it, sold it. I'm asked all the time if I miss any of these appliances, and the honest truth is no, I don't. I feel like I've uncomplicated my life in not having to deal with machines that at any time could stop working for who knows why.

The laundromat is five miles up the road. I go every three weeks. Before you ask, yes, I have enough underwear to get me through three weeks. I also have several sheets sets, so I can change my bedding on a regular basis. I don't mind sitting in the laundromat, reading a book or writing in my journal while the laundry is going. Most often it's just me there. The only items I dry at the laundromat are the sheets and towels. The rest I take home and hang on a drying rack. A wash day costs me about $6.

Since I live alone, I don't dirty a lot of dishes on a daily basis. Typically, I let the dishes go two or three days then do them all at once. And I really don't mind washing dishes. I find it relaxing. Plus, the window over the sink looks out across the side lawn where I have my bird feeders. I get to watch the chickadees and wrens swoop in to feed. Occasionally, a squirrel will find its way to the window ledge and look at me look at it.

I don't remember a time in my life without a washer/dryer. I do remember doing dishes as a kid, but then we got a dishwasher when I was around 11 or 12. We got our first microwave when I was around 15. Ever since, I've always had each of these appliances. Now, I'm very happy not having any of them.


Totally unrelated: from last week. Finally a decent moon image. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Night Sky

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why