Meet Murphy

Meet Murphy, the newest member of the family. 


He is absolutely too cute. And smart. And a cuddle bug. He has slipped right into the spot that's been open and waiting for him to come along. 

I started looking for the next member of the family back in May. I tried adopting because I support the "Adopt, Don't Shop" idea, but I never got a response to any of the applications I filled out and submitted. In August, I switched over to a website that lists all kinds of breeds, and since I knew I really wanted an Australian Shepherd, I had tons to choose from. The only downside was most were two hours or longer away. I didn't want to have to drive over two hours one way to pick up a puppy.

So I just checked in every now and then to see if new posts were listed that were within my desired driving range. Two weeks ago, a post showed up for Murphy and his brothers and sisters, and they lived a mere thirty minutes away. I called and asked if I could visit the pups, and the owner said absolutely. I knew as soon as I sat down and held him in my lap that Murphy was going to come home with me.

Ado is still unsure of the change in the household, but he hasn't been aggressive or nasty towards Murphy. Mostly curious. When the pup gets a little too annoying, Ado finds a place that Murphy can't reach, like the couch, to retreat to. Murphy, too, isn't sure of the hardwood floors and refuses to walk on them, so he gets stranded on the rugs, giving Ado plenty of space to himself.

The most amazing thing about Murphy so far is he has not once done his business in the house. From the moment I brought him inside, whenever he needs to potty he whimpers. As soon as I set him down outside, he goes. I'm truly stunned by this. And happy. 

This morning I took him on a short walk with Ado. It was like he knew exactly what to do. He walked along (really, he ran since his legs are so short compared to Ado's) right behind Ado. Only once did he stop and tug against the collar. That lasted all of three seconds or so and he was off again. 

I'm really looking forward to all the adventures awaiting Ado, Murphy, and me. If the last three days are any indication, we're going to have a lot of fun together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Night Sky

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why