Finding Calm Amidst the Pines

The Orange trail
Spring was really trying to push Winter off center stage the last few weeks, and in doing so, the spring fever kicked in something fierce. I'd already been having a tough time sitting down in front of the computer to complete work, and the sunny, warmer days were not helping one teeny-tiny bit. All I wanted was to be outside, which is exactly what I did last weekend and right up until it turned cold again this week. The boys and I have had some wonderful long walks, one of which was at Sand Ridge. They were troopers, finishing the day with nearly 9 miles after our usual morning walk, hiking the Brown trail, then hiking a bit of the Orange trail. I liked the Orange trail so much I went back the next day and hiked alone. I wanted to slow down and take some pictures of the trail and its surroundings. They say nature is the cure for what ails you, and I completely agree. The hush amidst the pines. The softness of the ground covered with pine needles. The flit of the chickadee from one limb to the next. I wonder sometimes if there are people who have never experienced this kind of calm. I'm sure there is, and this is sad to think about. I spent long minutes lying beneath tall pine trees and looking up at the sky, watching the trees sway in the breeze . . . about as good as it gets.

I know I'll return to Sand Ridge. The other trails are calling to me. The Yellow trail is the longest at 14 miles. I considered trying to do it in one day, but then I thought hiking it in chunks would give me reason to go over more often. I'm really hoping the weather during spring break, which is just three weeks away, is warm and dry. I could tackle a section of the Yellow, maybe even do two. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky