Keeping Life Simple

Move over Instant Pot. I have a new love. The Air Fryer. Actually, I love you both equally because you each bring such joy to my life.

At this moment, I'm happily munching on crispy seasoned tofu. The crispiest tofu I've ever been able to make thanks to the Air Fryer. Yesterday, I swooned over the Japanese sweet potato that came out hot and creamy from the Instant Pot. Yes, life is good.

Since going completely vegan (whole foods plant based), I've lost eight pounds. I'm just one pound from my goal. And I did nothing other than change what I eat. I didn't increase my exercise; I'm still just doing the three to four walks a day with Ado, which ends up being anywhere from 3-4 miles for the day. I haven't starved at all, either. I've simply been eating whole foods that are plant based. 

Funny Delightful Son came to visit for the weekend. I talked with him about the changes I've made and how it's such a simple thing to do and such a healthy thing to do. He pointed out that for a lot of people, though, it's not all that simple for a variety of reasons, one being financial. I totally understand that. Processed foods are very cheap. Those Japanese sweet potatoes I love so much? They're expensive. I bought five, and those five ended up being $8. For another person, that $8 could go to a couple boxes of mac n' cheese, a box of cereal, and a gallon of milk to mix up the cheese powder as well as use on the cereal. 

The politics associated with the food industry is staggering. The intertwining of  the food industry, the medical industry, and the fitness industry is enough to make a person's head explode. It truly is difficult at times to figure out who to believe. After a lot of reading over the last two years, I've decided to believe in the "Let food be thy medicine" approach and only bring plant-based whole foods into my home. Lots of fresh veggies. Lots of different beans and legumes. Lots of fruits. Lots of whole grains. When I see brown rice on sale, my happiness level shoots through the roof! The simplicity of rice and beans, which used to be something I avoided, is now one of my go-to meals. So many of my meals these days are simple: steamed broccoli with a half a baked potato, steamed mixed veggies with seasoned rice, steamed veggies with a bowl of kidney beans and red barley chili (which is the BEST chili I've every had). 

Simple. The keyword for so many things about life.


My little house surrounded by beautiful fall color.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Night Sky

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why