I'm Choosing to Honor My Dad

Well, the whole "my siblings and I have been getting along great" after Dad passed away has ended. We've all heard the horror stories of siblings who fight over the estate, taking each other to court or whatever, and I was so glad that wasn't the case for us. I was proud of how my siblings and I were in agreement about so many aspects concerning what to do with Dad's things. Little did I realize . . .

At this point, speaking for myself (though I've heard from another sibling that this is true for at least one other in the group as well), I've washed my hands of one of my siblings. The one causing the trouble. And I have said as much to this sibling. I will no longer try to get in contact. Not that it would do any good. This sibling won't respond anyways. Like a petulant child. Or maybe a chicken shit. Probably 1/4 petulant child and 3/4 chicken shit.

Because this sibling knows their actions are truly shameful. 

Backhanded accusations have been thrown towards me and the siblings who are asking for answers, that we're "money grubbers." This isn't the case at all. We just want answers to our questions. Why is that so hard?

Because this sibling knows the answers will show how Dad would be extremely disappointed in their actions.

Instead of stepping back and self-assessing, this sibling puts up a wall and points the finger, making us the bad guys. When I think about this, which I'm really trying to just let it go and move on, I can only shake my head. This sibling isn't the person I've always thought they were. My dad was all about integrity. To see a sibling behaving in a way contrary to the way Dad would want, especially about the things he was able to accomplish during his life, is like a slap to his face. This I find extremely sad. 

I'm going to focus on what a wonderful dad I had. I am so thankful for what he taught me, and while I didn't always show him just what an impact he made on me, I try to walk through my days with his example as how to live. I find myself thinking about him nearly every day and thanking him for having been my dad.

One of my favorite photos of Dad. Happy times.

My favorite photo of Dad. For years I searched for this photo, wondering what I had done with it. After Dad passed away, we were going through boxes of photos at his place. I'd apparently given this to Mom. I'm so glad it was found and I can now look at it everyday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Night Sky

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why