Facing My Fear of the Dreaded Scale

I've decided every Friday will be my weigh-in day. I figure I bought the darn scale, so I'm going to use it. Maybe it's the ingredient I've needed all along to hold me accountable for what I eat. The trepidation I feel just looking at the scale is ridiculous, but I conquered the fear yesterday and stepped on.

Half a pound down. 

And that made me incredibly happy. Seeing that third number change from where it's been the past two years was the jolt of energy I've needed to continue on the path I'm walking.

The path of eating strictly plant-based. 

I've been working on this for a year and a half. I tried several years ago to be vegetarian, but I ended up feeling awful, and my doctor said eat meat. So I went back to eating meat though I really didn't want to. 

So for the past year and a half, I've joked about being a bad vegetarian. I started the 90/10 routine. I ate mostly plants and eggs 90% of the time during the month. The other 10% of the month, I ate meals involving meat. That worked well. I felt good. But I still wanted to cut out the meat.

When the pandemic hit and I moved into my new home, living alone for the first time in over 30 years, I thought now is the time. Now I can really work on the things I've been wanting to do for a long time, like eating plant-based. 

So I made the plunge into vegetarian/almost vegan full on. I threw out the eggs. I threw out the milk. I threw out everything that is not plant. The only food I have yet to let go of to be fully vegan is mayonnaise. While I haven't actually eaten any since making the move, I still have some in the fridge just in case. I should just throw it out.  

This go around, I'm being very careful with my meals, making sure I get a healthy serving of veggies, fruits, and beans/grains/legumes. I snack on fruits and veggies between meals. I snack on nuts. I'm drinking lots of water (I've lost count of how often I'm using the bathroom!). I'm eating a lot, but it's all plants all the time. And I'm so glad I made the leap.

 A half pound is a healthy loss. If I lose a half pound a week, that's a good way to go. And my body will thank me for it.

Just 8.5 pounds to go. I got this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Night Sky

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why