Moon Set Over the Prairie

Last year at this time I was cycling the Pac coast. Had just enjoyed two days in San Francisco. Was headed into the last ten days or so that would complete the rest of the ride. The final morning I'd awakened early, before sunrise, and when I looked outside my tent, the full moon was setting over the Pacific. A golden path leading from the beach to the horizon undulated on the surface of the ocean. I was mesmerized.

This morning, Ado and I left out earlier than usual for our morning walk. We went the short route which takes us around a few blocks then back to the large open grassy area known as Jersey Hill. When I looked towards the west, a beautiful almost-full yellow moon hung just over the tree tops.

I feel so fortunate to have memories of the moon over the Pacific and the moon over the prairie. I view the memories as reminders

  • to look around, really notice the small things I sometimes overlook since I've seen them many times before;
  • enjoy the delight sparked by what is considered the typical;
  • slow down, savor the moment because the moment will end, which in the case of the moon, it did set, it did disappear below the horizon, leaving me with just the memory.
Both of these moments I have forever stashed and can take out whenever I wish. Re-experience the happiness I felt at the time. Remind myself of the peace that surrounded me, even if it was fleeting.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Night Sky

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why