Icy End to January

An arctic blast has moved in. The -23 degrees wind chill makes my face hurt as soon as I step outside. Even Ado, who typically loves being out in the cold, did his business quickly this morning then turned around an made a dash for home. I fear for animals and the homeless when the temps dip like this. I hope shelter is available, enough to give adequate warmth.

This afternoon snow fell, adding a layer of slippery on top of the sheet of ice that is my driveway right now. I searched high and low for my landlord's number, but somewhere in the move to the smaller apartment his number went missing. Today, while Angel Baby and I were messing around with the old typewriter I just bought a new ribbon for, trying to figure out how to make an exclamation point since there is no 1 key (shift, hit the 8 key, back up, hit the period key), my landlord pulled in. I slipped my feet into my boots and went out to say hello and ask for his number. Almost immediately he apologized for the condition of the driveway, assuring me he was going to have someone come over to take care of the ice. Then he asked me what my plans are for staying or finding another place. I guess I must have looked surprised because he then said he realizes it's only the end of January and my lease isn't up until the end of May. I said I'd like to stay if he'll let me, to which he laughed and said of course. Apparently, the neighbors told him I had informed them I plan to leave.

I'm still shaking my head over that one. I haven't said anything more than hello or hey to the neighbors since they moved in. I actually try to keep my distance. They just give me that vibe of something being amiss, so I steer clear. The impression I got from my landlord is he's not too keen on them either and most likely won't renew their lease. He started to tell me about an email he received from them, but he didn't finish and I didn't pursue it. It's really none of my business. But I did get to thinking . . . if they move out, maybe I'll move back into the larger unit. I do miss the windows in the living room. And the fireplace. And the back deck. And the room I used as my bedroom. And the back yard. Hmmmmmm. I really don't need all that space but it is a space that just makes me feel at home. Although, this little apartment is quite cozy if I do say so myself. I do enjoy being in this space, too.

The first two weeks of the semester are already over. Before I know it, spring break will be here. I'm trying to decide if I want to make my annual trip to Chicago for a show, or if I want to stay home and use the money for my end-of-the-summer trip to Iceland. I'm leaning towards saving the money for Iceland. It just makes more sense.

Speaking of Iceland, Angel Baby and I are now looking at our gear and getting things we know we'll need. I think I've found the trekking poles I want, and the backpack. We have a timeline in place for making sure we have each of the things on the list, so we're starting to check things off. It's been a lot of fun planning this with him. I find myself just looking at him a lot, wondering when he went from being a boy to a young man. A smart, considerate, compassionate young man. Our hike through Iceland is going to be amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky