A No Snow Snow Day!

-10 the high for today. Right this very second it is -20 with a real feel of -48. I can't remember the last time it was this cold. Because of how dangerous it is to be out in these temps, the college closed for today. It's a relief to know I don't have to carefully prepare myself to be out in this weather. I can't imagine standing at the bus stop, waiting for the bus. I'm not even sure the transit system is running today. I'll have to check. Just checked and yes, the buses are running.

Much like the furnace for this little apartment. It's been running nonstop since around nine last evening. I am not looking forward to the next gas bill. And since around 2 am, the wooden structure that is this apartment has been popping and thumping. I just want to stay in bed and pull the quilt up over my head.

But I can't. Ado needs me. So I bundled up to take him out this morning. Three layers. Still, the cold seeped through before we'd even gone a half block. When I had to take my glove off to bag up his deposit, my fingers instantly began to hurt. These negative temps are nothing to play around with.

Years ago I read The Children's Blizzard and was mesmerized by the depiction of that particular winter weather event. While we didn't get the snow this time, we certainly got the plummeting temperatures and wind. The wind is absolutely terrible. I can't imagine what things would be like if the snow had been part of the equation.

Today, then, is an inside kind of day. I've set my faucets to drip, covered the windows with fleece blankets, and now I'm getting ready to bake buttermilk biscuits just to have the oven on and try to keep the apartment warm. The low temps are supposed to hang around today and through part of tomorrow, so for the time being, we're just hunkering down and binging Netflix. Actually, I do have some papers to read. I should probably do those.

Maybe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Marigolds

Night Sky