Today's Students Wear Me Out

My go-to for relieving the annoyance that comes with reading the final drafts of some student work is wrapping my favorite knit scarf around my neck, putting on my quilted deep green coat, then donning my boots to head out for a walk. So far today, I've needed two walks.

I simply don't understand.

During the last sixteen weeks, I've repeated some very basic information. Still, I get essays that don't demonstrate the student heard what I was saying (or even read the information as much of what I said was also offered in writing). After I give a failing grade for not following directions, I receive an email asking why the paper didn't pass. I then have to take time explaining, usually to a student who didn't attend class on a regular basis, which resulted in the student not hearing what I was saying and the student not going into the folders where the information was provided in writing. These students wear me out.

Over the last fifteen years, much has changed with student attitude. The expectation is a passing grade even though attendance was maybe half the time, sometimes even less than that, and even though the assignments were turned in late, sometimes not even turned in at all. I fielded three emails this morning before leaving for work, all asking that I reconsider the failing grade I'd given. One because the student would lose financial aid (perhaps the student should have thought about this ten weeks ago). The second because though the assignment was clearly submitted after the final cut-off time (which was four days after the actual due date -- my gift of a grace period to all students), it was done. The third because the paper had been submitted but the computer must have eaten it before it actually posted in the LMS (the new "my dog ate my homework" excuse). These were the prelude to the number of pleas I received from students when I arrived to work for the first final of the week.

My next final is Wednesday, and I'm sure between now and then I'll receive more requests for mercy. The upside is I'll definitely get my walking in.

And I'm sure a Jack and Coke won't hurt.

Maybe an entire bottle of red wine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky