Another Semester Over

After dropping Ado off at the vet this morning for a spa day, cycle me whispered, "Cycle to work." So I laid out my cycling gloves and my knit hat. I switched all of my must-have items from my purse to my pannier. All set to leave I started for the door, and worry me whispered, "But you have to leave early to pick up Angel Baby. Cycling will make you have to rush." For a minute or longer I stood at the door, my hand on the knob, trying to make a decision. Cycle? Drive? Cycle? Walk to Uptown and catch the bus? Drive? Seriously, my indecision was absolutely ridiculous.

I drove. Only because it would save me some time.

As soon as I pulled into the parking lot and got out to walk inside, cycle me said loud and clear, "See how beautiful it is out? You missed a great ride this morning." 

I couldn't disagree. The sun shone, and the air was noticeably warmer. The biting cold from the last few days was gone. I should have cycled to work.

The beautiful day wasn't totally lost, though. Instead of driving over to pick up Ado, I walked. He's always out of control after having a bath, getting his nails clipped, and whatever other procedures they do while he's there. I figured a three-mile walk home would be exactly what he needed, and it worked. By the time we reached the front door, he was worn out. I had six miles of walking under my belt, making up for missing out on cycling to work.

A few of the candles I have around
the living room. I'm partial to tapers -- I
  love watching them drip and
 become shorter and shorter.
An addition I've made to my living space, an addition I absolutely love, is a group of candles. Each evening right before I sit down to work for a while, I light the candles around the room. Their flickering warmth gives the room a coziness. I also found a cute little lamp to put on my desk. A Goodwill find. I searched the entire store and thought I was out of luck, but then I noticed this little lamp and shade hidden behind some tall speakers. It didn't have a price tag on it, so I asked one of the workers, and she said, "Is $2.99 okay?" Seeing that it had a lightbulb in it, I said, "Sold." And it has worked out perfectly.

Tomorrow I'll finish up the semester. I have a final at 8 am, which is much earlier than I like to have to be to work these days, but it's the last day. I think I can get myself there by 8 this one day. I actually love this time of the semester -- there's a sense of relief in the air. For sixteen weeks everyone is zoned in to the material that needs to be given to the students. We say hello to each other, but we don't linger. Instead, we quickly go to class or hide away in our offices to grade or prep or talk with a student. This week, though, it's like the chains have been removed and we are free to walk around, have extended conversations, and relax. We share cookies and other holiday goodies. Seeing my friends/colleagues smile and laugh is a wonderful way to end the semester.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky