The Changes of Fall

Mornings are still dark when Ado and I get up and go for our first walk of the day. I see the moon move through its phases if the sky is clear. I watch the crows fly overhead, going from their nightly nesting ground to wherever it is they go for the day. I hear the hoot owls calling to one another. Rabbits zip to the shelter of hedges from openly eating in front yards under cover of darkness. The stillness of this time snuggles around me like a favorite sweatshirt pulled on that first cool morning after a long, hot, muggy summer.
Speaking of yellow . . .

During my walk home from the Coffeehouse last evening, after sitting for several hours with a friend, talking work and writing, my thoughts turned to how not long from now darkness will settle in by 5 pm. My excuse to pull on pj's and hunker down for the evening. One of my most favorite things to do, and it will last right up until April when I'm ready to shed the layers and get back out into the world again.

The last few days the temps have been all over the board. Cool mornings. Hot and humid afternoons. Comfortable evenings. Windy. Cloudy, Maybe rain. Maybe not. Leaves are changing. The maples showing deep red amidst the still green. Many like flower petals falling, unable to resist the push of the prairie wind. The trail today stretched before me beneath a layer of yellow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Night Sky

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why