October Fun

Like usual, Ado and I set off for our morning walk. A bit later than usual since I slept right up until 7:45. Then I snuggled for another half hour against Ado. He's the best cuddle buddy ever. So when we finally started off, the sun was shining, warming the morning so nicely. While we walked I thought I'd cycle up to the farm to return the egg cartons that I'd been collecting over the last couple of months. I wasn't about to let this beautiful fall day get away from me without a cycling trip of some kind.

Once Ado was settled in after we returned to the apartment and after I aired up the tires on Sweetness, I started out. Only to realize the wind had come up during the time I fixed Ado's breakfast, geared up, packed the egg cartons in the pannier, and stepped back outside. Not just a little wind, either. No. This wind, though I didn't know it until after I checked the weather once I got home, was blowing over 23 miles per hour, gusting up to 40 mph. There was even a wind advisory that I didn't know about.

For the most part, the wind was out of the WNW. Basically, it was hitting me at an angle, going across my left shoulder. At one point I had to unclip my left foot as I was heading towards the right edge of the road and thought I was going to hit the loose gravel. That's how much the wind was pushing me around. A couple of segments of the ride had me cycling just about directly into the wind, bringing back memories of going from Medora, ND to Glendive, MT. A day of cycling 65 miles in 30 mph winds. I made it that day, and I made it out to the farm and back today. The ride back made going out totally worth it. The couple of segments where the wind was mostly pushing against my back, I was flying. I checked my Garmin at one point and saw 31 mph. I've never, ever gone that fast on a flat before. Such fun!

These creatures are so beautiful!
Not once did I wish I hadn't decided to go. I loved every single second of today's ride. The very best part by far was seeing the salamander crossing the road. I haven't seen a salamander in such a long time, and when I got off the bike, walked towards it, it turned and looked at me then began coming towards me like we were meant to meet each other. I picked it up and carried it over to the shoulder then decided to take it further away from the road. I watched it find its way down into the grass, safe and sound.

My version of the white pumpkin. I'm going
to pull out my acrylics and do a bit of
touch-up, but overall, I'm okay with this.
All the way around, this weekend has been one of the best. Yesterday, Lovely Beautiful Daughter and I went up to Chicago to see the pumpkins at the botanical gardens, but before we did that we painted our own pictures of a white pumpkin then went to dinner at Guildhall, a place we just happened upon and were seated though we didn't have a reservation (and they were packed!). We each had a delicious meal followed by pumpkin bread pudding (which was yummy yummy). The whole day was all about pumpkins. Such fun.

And another fun moment from the weekend. This is from an email I opened when Lovely Beautiful Daughter and I were out to do our grocery shopping --

"Hello,

We'd like to publish your submission in the December issue online. Please send a brief third-person bio if you haven't already sent one, and optionally, a photo, if you accept publication.

Thank you."

Ummmmm,  yes, I accept! So, when December hits, I'll share the link to the poems so the whole world can read them. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky