Yes! to Opportunities

My first Don't Squander Opportunities came last evening at a get-together with friends. Smoked oysters.

Eat one, my friend said. They'll bring good luck.

So I stabbed a toothpick into a dark brown blob of flesh piled on a plate and plopped it into my mouth. The smokey flavor spread over my tongue and the roof of my mouth. The texture was soft, like a piece of smoked fish. I savored every second of the delicacy.

Yummm, I said. I enjoy most seafoods, and the smoked oyster was yet another like to add to the list. My friend, in my phone contacts as Princess Leia because of her affinity for all things Star Wars, however, after very, very hesitantly biting just a small piece off an oyster, grimaced and spit out most of what she could. I wonder if the real Princess Leia would have reacted that way to smoked oysters. I kind of think she would have eaten them with gusto.

Cricket sucker, anyone?
And my second Don't Squander Opportunities happened as a result of me being the first to lose all my chips in the friendly poker game we had all gathered for. I like playing poker, but I reach a point not long into the game that I just want to watch the others play. So, with all of my chips stacked nicely in the others' piles of chips, I was given the 7th place award: a small box of vinegar and salt crickets, and an orange sucker with a cricket inside it.

I tried to share my crickets, but only one other person partook.

So I ate them myself. They were actually quite flakey, kind of like a really tender cracker that just falls apart in your mouth. And they were very salty. More salt than vinegar, unfortunately, but still, I thought they were good. The one other person who tried a cricket wasn't so keen for them, which was okay because that meant more for me.

On another note, a very strange thing has been happening. Over the last ten days or so, I've dreamed about bees being near me or on me. Like four times I've had this dream. I've never dreamed of the same thing so many times in such a short time frame. I've never felt scared of the bees, and in the most recent dream, a person beside me was shooing the bees away, scared of them, and I told them to stop, that the bees weren't going to hurt them. I just find it quite weird to have so many dreams of bees. Especially in the middle of -10 degree weather. Maybe it's my mind pining for summer days of warmth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Writing With Light