A Day Well Spent

My year of embracing opportunity continues!

Today I said yes to the Museum of Science and Industry, an early dinner at a hole-in-the-wall near the University of Chicago (the food was great), a trip to a 57th Street Books, and a jaunt through a bit of Chinatown. Just when I didn't think the day could get any better, I scratched off the last number on a $3 ticket I bought when I paid for a lucky cat I found for Funny Delightful Son.

The image of a money bag appeared, and underneath it was $100.

The. Last. Scratch.

I very seldom buy lotto tickets, and each time I do I never win anything. Hence the not buying tickets. This win was that cherry on top of the whipped cream of a wonderful day, one that I'll savor for a long time.

At the museum, the first exhibit we visited was the U-505 submarine. We walked through and were given a close-up of what life was like on the sub. At one point, our tour leader played a tape of what it would have been like to be on the sub and hear depth charges dropped into the water. I simply cannot imagine the fear the men on the subs must have felt as they waited for the charges to detonate.

Outside the sub, I interacted with a computerized exhibit that showed how the Enigma worked. What an amazing piece of technology. When I finished, I emailed the message to myself.





--------------------------------------------->





After finishing up the U-505 exhibit, we went upstairs to take a look at the model train. Then the Art of the Bicycle. The Black Creativity art exhibition. The race cars. Ships Gallery. Science Storms. Genetics and the baby chicks hatchery. Extreme Ice. And so much more. Everything made me marvel at what humankind has accomplished through the years.


Colorful bicycle saddles




Foucault's Pendulum exhibit: I stayed until that stake on the left next to the pendulum was knocked over. It took a while, but I was mesmerized by the pendulum swinging back and forth.




Bunks inside the U-505 sub


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky