Taking On Another Challenge

I wrote my first ever erotica short story. And let me tell you, writing erotica -- good erotica (at least my hope is my attempt is good) -- is not easy.

I sat in this chair, at this computer, for nearly ten hours making sure the one lengthy sex scene in the story didn't come off as cheesy, silly, or over-the-top. My desire was that the scene was sweet, rang true, and showed two people who knew each other's wants and needs. I guess you could say I was going for tasteful (if that is even possible in the world of erotica). Now the story is in the hands of those who will critique it. I did ask that they be gentle since this is my first time.

As I was working on the story, Funny Delightful Son came in to chat. He asked me what I was doing, and at that particular moment, I was reading a page about the female anatomy, complete with images and labels. I pointed to it and explained what I was doing. FDS laughed and said, "Okay. Glad I asked."

"It's for another contest," I said. "And if I get any good at it, I'm going to go the erotica route. That's what people really want to read."

"Sure, Mom," FDS said. "Sounds like you're selling out."

"Nope. Just accepting the reality of things," I said.

"Well, I'll leave you to it," FDS said, standing and leaving me to my work.

Not long after his visit, Lovely Beautiful Daughter came in. She sat in the chair near my desk, and over the next few minutes, I had the same conversation with her, though she didn't call me a sellout. She just laughed. She did say, however, that this is one piece of my writing she absolutely will not read. Fair enough.

If nothing else, writing in a genre I'm totally unfamiliar with was a challenge. The guidelines for the contest are that the piece include a steamy scene within a story of 1500 words or less. The story I've had in mind for a while. The steamy scene? Nope. To be sure I built a scene that can be considered erotica, I did some research to be sure I wasn't crossing any boundaries. Now I'm hoping those who offer feedback can give me further guidance to tighten the piece even more.

One thing I noticed about myself while writing the steamy scene was how uncomfortable I was with the language when I started vs how comfortable I became by the time I had finished. Yeah, I find this really interesting.

So, that was my day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky