Thinking of a Summer Picnic

I broke one of the rules I set for myself this year: not to begin a new book until I'm finished with the one I'm already reading. I just couldn't help myself, though. The title reached out and wrapped its warm homeyness around me. I couldn't wrestle free from its hold. I cried, "Uncle!" and hit the buy button just so I could catch my breath.

As if that wasn't bad enough, then, when I was about to go back to the book I was already reading, the darn new book worked its way outside the touch screen of my tablet and forced my finger to tap on the cover of the book. It even skipped all the introductory pages and went straight to the first page of chapter 1. I was under some kind of spell because no matter how much I wanted to not read that page, the following page, and right through to chapter 2, I couldn't stop. I could only stop when I reached the end of chapter 2, with the last line, "Preferably on a picnic blanket, with your mother." A melancholy filled me as I thought I won't ever be able to eat blueberry butter cake on a picnic blanket, with my mom.

I can have a picnic complete with blueberry butter cake, however, with Lovely Beautiful Daughter. This summer. In the middle of June.

P.S. So far, after only two chapters, I'm loving this book. It's A Homemade Life, by Molly Wizenberg, and it's only $1.99 to download on Kindle.

A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table Cover

P.P.S. I've now read through chapter 8. It's been a good day. And I'm making French toast for breakfast in the morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why

Night Sky